Homemade Vanilla Extract Series: 1


So this being a Series, I am just going to talk here about why, and what. The How-To will be the next part of the series and it will be a video!


I stumbled upon how to make vanilla extract after reading a post called Homemade Vanilla Extract by Frugal Mom of Two Blog.(I highly recommend checking this blog out by the way!) I was fascinated by this post!! I never knew how vanilla extract was made, and found out it was very simple. Just Vanilla Beans and Vodka! Well then I started to do some research on the subject, and found it not as simple...well I guess it doesn't have to be, but because I want to make this to sell I want to make sure it's really good. So when I started reading about everyone else and how they make it they all put different amounts of beans with different amounts of vodka...seems okay to do tests right? To see what combo is good, right? Except that it takes THREE months at least to make good extract.

But I did find 2 people one being Frugal Mom of Two using 6 Beans for 2 Cups of Vodka. So I am going to start with that.


I found a great deal on Amazon for Vanilla Beans. They can be very expensive, I suggest buying in bulk. I went to my grocery store and found TWO beans, not 2lbs. but 2 SINGLE beans for $15.99, the store I work at had the 2 for $11.49, and you need 6 for 2 cups of vodka, yikes!! So to Amazon I went, I shopped online too but still found them cheaper on Amazon.

Premium Bourbon-Madagascar Vanilla Beans - 1/2 lb. - Approx. 54 beans for just $18.12 and FREE shipping! That's about 34¢ per bean!! A steal compared to the local grocery stores! 


Then I went to my closest and cheapest liquor outlet and bought a mid-quality vodka, Smirnoff Triple Distilled Vodka. Most of the research told me not to get a cheap vodka as it will make the extract not taste good, but a high quality isn't necessary. I bought a half gallon costing $17.99

So lets see how much this will cost vs. store bought

Vodka (half gallon=8 cups=64 ounces) $17.99
24 Beans @ 34¢ each (6 per 2 cups) $8.16
Total: $26.15 (64 ounces)

26.15/64= 41¢ per ounce


Stores:
McCormick Pure

  • 4 oz. $15.99 ($4.00 per ounce)
  • 2 oz. $8.19 ($4.10 per ounce)
  • 1 oz. $4.79
Store Brand(not pure, had corn syrup in it!):

  • 2 oz $6.49 ($3.25 per ounce)
  • 1 oz. $3.79
Store Brand Imitation:

  • 8 oz. $3.47 (43¢ per ounce)


2 comments posted:

UntrainedHairMom said...

Interesting, I had no idea vanilla beans were so expensive. This sounds really cool though, I will have to see if I can find a steal on amazon, thanks for the tip!

Shannon said...

Hey, thanks for referring to my blog for this post! So glad I encouraged you to try to make some yourself. I am looking forward to the video. I love how you did the price comparison too, great idea!! The vanilla beans are expensive, but you save the cost in the end.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...